- Revise Thesis structure by reviewing each Chapter/Section against the following critieria:
- Core material both theory and practice
- Not sure at this stage
- Cul-de-sac – that which is interesting and might form basis for future research but is not relevant as core material or does not contribute to new insight at this stage
- Review current Chapter 1 draft and revise as appropriate
- Write up Visual Representation of Skye section
- Take stock of Year 1 photography practice
- Plan Year 2 practice to experiment, evaluate and review each of the 10 signifiers in both academic and practical terms
- Discuss plans/ideas with supervisors at first meeting in Year 2 or before
The Upgrade Document I have produced is necessarily a snap-shot and represents a moment in time that has now passed. As a result, I have produced a long list of reading I want to do which has sparked my interest. However, this will need to be revised pending the outcome of the revised thesis structure and consideration of the Upgrade Document:
- Research plant/tree sentience
- Vibrant Matter: a political ecology of things – Jane Bennett (2010)
- The Poetics of Space – Gaston Bachelard (1964)
- Earth and Reveries of Repose – Gaston Bachelard (1948)
- Alien Phenomenology: or What It’s Like to Be a Thing – Ian Bogost (2012)
- Goodbye, Kant!: What Still Stands of the Critique of Pure Reason – Maurizio Ferraris (2013)
- Finding the Mother Tree: Discovering the Wisdom of the Forest – Suzanne Simard (2021)
- How to Write a Thesis – Rowena Murray (2002)
- Bachelard and the Epiphanic Instant – Richard Kearney (2008)
- Continue with my research in contemporary art practice
I plan to finish this reading in September/October alongside a significant period of practice. In addition, I would like to:
- Prepare for exhibition at An Crubh on the Isle of Skye in October
- Collate some dummy book ideas of my work to date
- Consider the editing, curating and printing of my photographic work
- Consider collaboration with other specialists such as poets, sound recordists and filmmakers
An aspirational list that might change after discussions with my supervisors . . .
Bachelard, G. (1948). Earth and Reveries of Repose – An Essay on Images of Interiority. Dallas, Texas, Dallas Institute Publications.
Bachelard, G. (1964). The Poetics of Space. New York, Penguin Books.
Bennett, J. (2010). Vibrant Matter – A Political Ecology of Things. Durham, Duke University Press.
Bogost, I. (2012). Alien Phenomenology or What It’s Like to be a Thing. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press.
Ferraris, M. (2013). Goodbye, Kant! – What Still Stands of the Critique of Pure Reason. New York, State University of New York Press.
Kearney, R. (2008). “Bachelard and the Epiphanic Instant.” Philosophy Today 38: 38-45.
Murray, R. (2002). How to Write a Thesis. London, Open University Press.
Simard, S. (2021). Finding the Mother Tree – Discovering the Wisdom of the Forest. New York, Knof, Borzoi Books.