I received some helpful feedback that I could follow up after the Upgrade Meeting but there were a few points best dealt with before I submit the final version.
I will note some specific comments here to make sure I pick them up after the Upgrade Meeting:
- Build on the strategies of metaphor, reduction and fracture and show images the relate – insights into each strategy in the star diagram
- Good that I mentioned lots of artists/photographers
- Set up style page for thesis so I don’t have lots of work to do in the final editing work
- Ensure consistency of referencing
- Flusser quotation comes out of the blue in Part 2 – refer to in Part 1
- Refer to moments of insight
- Map where I am now and be honest
- Identify joined up moments of theory and practice
- Relax and be confident in the meeting and enjoy the feedback
- Consider whether using music when in the field and in post-processing – will it dominate or influence my work – music is a powerful instrument
My supervisors commended me on my writing skills, the relative clarity of my thinking and the fact that my own voice is becoming clearer in my practice. They suggested that I have such a lot of material that I need to be selective and I should ‘let the material breathe’.
They felt the choice of images strongly illustrated the narrative of my story.
So, I feel that Year 1 is finishing on a high. I cannot believe how far I have come in terms of my academic writing, the development of my practice and how much I have enjoyed the journey so far. . .
Clearly I’m not in the academic World, but having helped Angus with his Masters dissertation, I would say the feedback at the upgrade meeting looks very positive!
I recall striving to balance readability and academic rigour during my own MBA.
You’re doing well and it’s great observing from the sidelines via these pages!
Good luck with the rest of it!
Will, Thanks so much for your encouragement. I need all I can get as I prepare for the Upgrade meeting.