This is a huge opportunity for me as it is the first time I have had an exhibition on Skye (although I already have an exhibition running at Poppies Hotel in Callander and held another in Tetbury, Gloucestershire last year). In addition, it has been a very useful learning experience in terms of curating and setting up an exhibition in a gallery setting with significant public footfall.
Here are some images of the Gallery space and my installation:
I have learnt a lot about dealing with people in an exhibition setting as well as in terms of the practicalities of running this type of event.
Practical Learning and Action Points
- Ensure an early visit to the gallery in order to gain a clear idea of how many and what size images will be appropriate
- Check out the hanging system in the gallery – this one was very challenging in terms of securing and displaying framed prints!
- Find out about Gallery terms and conditions such as commission rates, fees for the facilities etc
- Produce cards including Title and Price to place next to each image
- Get some cards of images printed and a rack to display them on
- Get a larger rack to display mounted prints
- Acquire a payment machine for credit cards
- Acquire a lockable cash box
- Take tablecloth and flowers to decorate the Gallery
- Prepare for poor or no wi-fi
- Find a local printer – in my case I have identified Strath Print in Broadford, Isle of Skye http://www.strathprint.co.uk/
- Keep a gallery book of sales and footfall each day to ensure you have a record of this information, people who purchased work and which work has sold
- Keep a note of local artists and photographers that visit the Exhibition
- Keep a Guest Book for people to record their comments – this may serve as a boost when being creative gets tough!
General Points, Questions and Thoughts
- I enjoyed meeting people and talking about my work
- I need to consider whether my images should be produced at a larger size (60 x 60cm)
- How do I turn hugely positive comments into sales?
Feedback So Far . . .
“Beautiful, evocative photography – captures the essence completely. Thank you!” (JJ)
“Superb photography of unique scenery.” (JM)
“So atmospheric. Such colour. Thanks!” (GS)
“Stunning photographs.” (CB)
“Lovely effects – not like photos.” (AM)
“Beautiful photographs. Enjoyed.” (AL)